Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A Little About: GEORGE WASHINGTON CARVER

George Washington Carver was born into slavery  about 1864 on a plantation in Missouri. When he was still a baby, he was kidnapped by confederates who raised him as their own.

In those days, black children were not allowed to school.  But George became the first ever black student, and he excelled in art, music and science, especially biology.  George loved God’s creation, and he spent his free time collecting rocks and plants.

When George Washington Carver grew up, he became the first ever black teacher.  But this was not even nearly all he accomplished.  He spent his life using his skills to help farmers, and he became very well known for his amazing discoveries and inventions-- he even found 300 uses for peanuts, including paper, flour and even face cream!
___________________________________________________________
“When I was young, I said to God, "God, tell me the mystery of the universe." But God answered, "That knowledge is reserved for me alone." So I said, "God, tell me the mystery of the peanut." Then God said, "Well George, that's more nearly your size." And he told me.”


- George Washington Carver

No comments:

Post a Comment